So I’m really into this whole eating-healthy-but-still-enjoying-myself-and-feeling-fully-satisfied-healthy-lifestyle-so-totally-not-a-diet-but-a-lifestyle thing so I made muffins. I call them; Super Health Muffins.
I don’t wanna say these are the healthiest muffins you will ever have but these muffins are pretty healthy. I mean they’re not Super Saiyan, vegan, nut free, lactose free, health muffins but they are Super Health, gluten free muffins.
With a ton of cinnamon, some mixed spice and vanilla extract plus the natural sweetness of banana and pears and just a little honey there’s no lacking in flavour. These muffins will fill you up and keep you full for long. Plus they keep well in the freezer so they’re great for a quick nutritious breakfast on the go.
The bananas give great flavour and moisture. I used the darkest, ripest bananas I could find. If your bananas aren’t super ripe it’s not the end of the world but the riper the bananas the deeper and better the banana flavour is. To ripen bananas quickly pop them on a baking tray and place in an oven preheated to 120°C for about an hour.
The pears are naturally sweet and make a great addition to the muffins. They’re chopped into relatively small chunks so as not to deter from the final texture of the baked good and the skins are left on for extra fibre. Coconut oil and Greek yogurt add extra moisture and some mixed chopped nuts give a lovely crunch and texture. The Greek yogurt can easily be substituted for buttermilk or milk or any other kind of milk you prefer. I used a variety of nuts but if you’ve got a specific type of nut you love then you use it.
These muffins are a lovely nutritious guilt free breakfast alternative but honestly, they can be eaten all day errday whenever.
Super Health Muffins
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large pears chopped
- 100g mixed nuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) and line muffin tins with muffin cases.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Place the honey and coconut oil in a cup and heat in the microwave until the coconut oil is in liquid form and allow to cool slightly.
- In another bowl whisk in the eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add the oil and honey mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the mashed bananas and pears.
- Add the wet batter to the dry ingredients until almost completely incorporated then stir in the chopped nuts and stir until well combined but be sure not to overwork the batter.
- Place the batter into the prepared muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the muffin.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tins before taking them out and allowing them to cool completely.
Best served warm with some plain/Greek yogurt.